We often think of watery eyes and runny noses when we think about mold exposure, but it can cause many more serious problems. Some problems that can occur include damage to major organs, like your liver.
The liver is vulnerable to toxins from penicillium, Stachybotrys, and aspergillus. All of these are common household molds that cause a wide variety of health issues. Some liver problems associated with mold exposure include:
Cirrhosis is a scarring of the liver, which makes it difficult for the liver to make its nutrients and detoxify your body. If liver cirrhosis is treated early, damage can be limited, however, if left unchecked, the condition can be life-threatening.
Fatty Liver Disease, also known as Hepatic Steatosis, shows up as liver inflammation and can become cirrhosis and ultimately liver failure. According to the Mayo Clinic, this is the most common form of chronic liver disease.
If you notice a yellow tint to the skin or eyes of yourself or your family, there is a good chance that jaundice is the cause. Jaundice is the buildup of bilirubin. Bilirubin is a waste product from iron and the liver should filter it out. If the liver isn't working properly, the bilirubin can leak into your tissue, causing the discoloration. In addition to the yellow color, you may also notice symptoms such as fatigue, dark urine, weight loss, and abdominal pain.
If you think that your home is affected by mold, first let your doctor know of any symptoms you may have. Then contact the mold experts at American Home Services. We'll inspect your home and air quality for free. If we find that you do have a mold problem, we'll work with you to implement a mold remediation program to help make your home mold-free.
We know how dangerous exposure to mold can be and we want to keep you and your family safe and healthy. Contact us today to learn more about the effect mold can have on your liver. Let us help you protect your home and family from mold spores.